Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Recovering deleted files from Hard Disc


I think I am neither the first, nor the last who got some computer problems. Recently my computer got some virus, and I had to get all system reinstalled on it. So far so good, I know this coming, and as it should be, I made some file backups on DVDs. But as it was many to make, and I was in a hurry, I didn't check that all was OK and fine.
And you guessed it correctly, it wasn't. As it turned out my DVD writer likes DVD-R discs, and I last picked up some DVD+Rs, not having the usual brand I use to buy. This little mistake almost turned out to be a nightmare, as I ended up a couple of useless DVDs, as I just after the install find it out.
Maybe one lucky thing was, that I chose a little upgrade once the system needed to be reinstalled, and that included a new, bigger HDD as well as another 1GB RAM.

The old one was not reformatted, yet, so, when I called the same night my computer repairman, he calmed me down that there is a good chance to get back files from HDD, even deleted files.
What files we talking about here?
Mostly JPEG photo files, Acrobat files, .doc files, mp3 files, etc. I was really the most concerned about losing my photos. They are near impossible to replace, and I really like to use in my blog my own shots. I do, all I posted so far is mine!
So, it all happened as my repairman told, he got a wonderful ( and easy to use) program, called Recover My Files. And after scanned the HDD, it found more then I hoped, and I was able to recover all my photos, documents, music, and ebooks, and some more, I didn't even remember so old files. Now I have to select true the whole bunch, to remove unwanted, but I will be glad to do.
All I can say: ever you are in a similar situation, don't panic, there is a very good chance to recover your deleted (maybe by mistake) files from your HDD!
A happy day indeed for me today, after the worries last night.

1 comment:

Sagar Patel said...

Wow!
My friend told me once that we can recover completely deleted files from HDD, and I laughed at him!
Actually I had a bet with him that this can't be done! Thank God he was not knowing the actual procedure, and he has forgotten the bet lol :D
But nice to see this, I gone to that software's website, and also learned why and how we can recover permanently deleted files.
I am really amazed to see how a OS deletes files.
Thanks for sharing this article ;)