Monday, October 13, 2008

Nakhon Pathom daytrip, Part 2




As I mentioned on the previous part, we stopped on the way to see another Wat (temple). I spotted this one on the way to Cha-Am the other day, but then was running a bit late, so, decided to see this time. And it was a great decision for a change. The temple called Wat Sisa Thong or the Temple of the Golden Head, and it is near to Nakhon Chai Si, about 30 km from Bangkok. But that wouldn't make it special, as in Thailand nearly every small village got a decent looking Wat. What made Wat Sisa Thong special is the newer section of this the temple complex. Opposite to the more common Thai Buddhist temples, this one has a uniquely different decor, a fusion of the Thai and the Indian Buddhism. The buildings are covered with marble, got the usual bright ceramic roof tiles like most temple, but the roof also richly decorated with sculptures, what better describe Indian temples. Also these sculptures are less colourful, mainly white and gold. The doors and window palettes are beautifully painted with Buddha images, and flowers. Even the surrounding fence they decorated nicely, so, the whole place has a well rounded tranquil beauty, with the gold applied in enough to break the coldness of the marble.
A truly beautiful and different Wat.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. nice blog. You put on adsense at good place. Are you Indonesian or what? Nice to meet u... ^^

tingtong said...

Thx. Glad you like. I am Hungarian, and I live in Thailand currently.

Matthew said...

Very cool wat. Didn't see this one on my trips to Thailand.

tingtong said...

thx, I think the same. It is one of those hidden treasures, not a mainstream turist place. I found on my Cha-am trip, when I got lost a bit in Nakhon Chai Si. Then in Nakhon Pathon trip, it was intentional to see...i wanted to show to my family too.