Sunday, October 19, 2008

Portofino, Italy















Portofino is located on a peninsula near Santa Margherita, on the Italian Riviera.
This picturesque little seaside village has lot to offer. First, myself coming from the sea, as I was there on a cruise ( yes, work again) I saw all the nice, pastel colour houses, and the fishing boats on front of them. It is a real pretty harbour, with the main square just right at the edge of the harbour, offering lots cafes and restaurants. Since it was a hot day, I rather settled for a good portion of Italian gelato ( ice cream). I started out with a not too long but bit steep hike up to the Castello Brown, which is more like a villa with a nice garden, and probably the best view to the harbour and the village. It is also a museum.
On the way down, I took a detour to see the San Giorgio Church, which also has a panoramic view, but from a different angle then from the Castle. I met a friendly Italian family, who even fed me with some homemade cookies.
Down the village, actually it is a tiny one, very few street, but all pretty, all has cafes, and souvenir shops. The place is pricey, lately is very popular retreat for those rich and famous, so, it is more for looking the buying, but nevertheless, became on of my favorite Mediterranean port, with its charming beauty. I am really lucky, as I could visit here some more since, and I still love the place just like I did at first.


No comments: