Friday, November 28, 2008

Lao special: Snake Whisky



















Being away for over a week from home is not that simple anymore, since we have the rabbits. Lucky for us, our friend Khun Jazz was kind enough to come over and feed them. In fact as we found later out, she did a very good job, the rabbits seemed to be twice the size we remembered!

For all this help, we certainly wanted to have some gift for them, and in that something Lao.
There is a night market ( maybe evening would be more proper as they finish at 10PM) every day in Luang Prabang, turning a segment of the main street asphalt into stalls, where they sell their crafts and souvenirs. And here we stumbled upon this special present: the Snake Whisky. Look a bit morbid, in a way remind me of those tequila bottles, though the worms are considerable smaller then this snake. They claim it works as a medicine too, but someone have to test that for me to prove.


Anyway, I couldn't pass on it, as I knew they like new things to try; once even tasted my cooking! OK, actually I am a good cook, so, they were not in danger (I cook European, don't do Thai dishes). Later I also see at some restaurant that have enormous bottles with matching big snakes in the whisky, where you could buy by shot.


As it turned out, it was a good choice, they liked the look, and there was the surprise factor too. I don't know if they tasted, yet I always forgot to ask.

Just for a side note: early this week I had almost the chance to try to make my own snake whisky, as we had another snake in our garden. The 3rd times in 4 month. I don't know what happened lately, before we did not have at all. Anyway, was thinking late, I think headless it would not look the same in the bottle. Maybe the next intruder?!

1 comment:

tingtong said...

Glad you like here Sarah. I will try to keep it interesting, as much as I can.
And certainly visit your blog in return ;)