Sunday, November 23, 2008

Helping to teach English












Today I was invited ( once again) by my friend Sean to join him and his team to a special event, to teach English to kids.
The topic was basic journalism, and reading skills.
It was an early wake up, really unusual for me, at 5:45AM, but the school was around an hour drive from us. Sean was kind to pick me up, and so did with the other 2 helpers on the way to the school.
The Buranasuksa school were we arrived was a huge school, I didn't expect this big. I think it is my limited imagination, as from the number of the attending students I should guess better.
Later the principal answered me this, there is 2400 kids in Buranasuksa school!!

The event was divided into 2 sessions, the first before lunch, and the later obviously after.
The first session we had Grade 5 kids, 130 of them, and in the afternoon Grade 6 kids, 180 of them. Did I say this is a huge school?!

We used Sean's "Student News" as the main material, it is a bilingual monthly magazine for Thai kids. Sean is the owner and the editor of the magazine.

I am always a bit shy naturally, but it is fun to be part of the event, where kids could come up, and asked questions from a "real" foreigner, and where we could help them with reading and pronunciations of the words.
The school's director came also over, in both sessions making an opening speech to the kids about the importance of learning foreign language, and the chance to use this special event to better their skills.
We all also got a present from him (and a school). Really not something I expected, as I also helped Sean too purely out of friendship.
My surprise was even bigger when in the afternoon Sean and me got presented with another gift box.
As I learned it at home it contains a beautiful set of cups and saucers, both hand-painted, and decorated with gold. My treasure, and a memorable reminder of a special day.















2 comments:

Sagar Patel said...

Nice to see your work, and a Gift for that :)
Now I know why you were busy yesterday ;)

tingtong said...

Hello Sagar!
yes, this was the reason to be busy yesterday. The gift was totally unexpected, last month I helped in a similar event for my friend in a smaller school, and there was nothing such included. Not as I mind, as said, I do/did this events for free.
But I wanted to include them, as that set of cups a real beauty :)