Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Istanbul, a unique city on two continents










Istanbul is a special city, and I always loved. I have been there with my parents first, and since a few times more. Istanbul got a unique location, connecting Europe and Asia, also a bit the Arab culture with a hint of that European. But I think it is just really impossible to describe the feel, you have to be there, to understand it. They have a great history, being the capital of the once mighty Turkish Empire in the Medieval (Constantinapolis). They have magnificent mosques, including the world famous Blue Mosque, named after it's blue roof, and opposite to it just a short walk the Aya Sophia (Hagia Sophia) which now function as museum. I particularly like the Blue Mosque, with it pained columns and ceiling, and despite the many visitor and it's huge size, it felt very calm to be there.Once sightseeing, the Grand Bazaar is another must see. As the name suggest, it is big indeed, so, better you have a comfortable walking shoes on. They sell everything your heart might desire, from beautiful carpets to leather goods, from colourful pottery to gold. And once in Istanbul don't miss there famous Turkish baklava, one of my favorite sweets. I love the one with pistachio the most!

No comments: