Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Laos trip: Luang Prabang, Wat Pahouak, Day 5



Wat Pahouak isn't particularly a big Wat, nor a magnificent one. So, why I choose to include it, if I saw many which more beautiful ones, that I skipped? Wat Pahouak merited its own post, and you will see why soon.


The Wat is just a bit offside of the staircase leading up to Pousi Stupa on the top of the hill, but I think they get considerably more visitors. However I am a curious type. What really caught my attention first was the sign by the door. I Include the photo above to read it:


Inside there were these murals, and compare to the small side, it was easy to see that it had been a beautiful small Wat (temple) in the past. Unfortunate, most would need renovation soon, before they can't be restored anymore. After some photos, I realised two more things.


First, that nobody else is there. And that made the second even more strange. There was a big table with different size of little paintings, pictures, and such, with a donation box, and a book to record transactions. I mean by yourself, as nobody was there!! We had a look, and saw they included some recommended donation price on the back of the pictures, by pencil. I don't know, but for some reason I really got touched by the moment, being in a small temple all alone, and having the trust in people not to just take away anything. Not as I would do that, but you might know what i mean. I afraid not all like this.


In the end we ended up two nice pictures, consider it as an entrance fee. The price was really cheap, and now framed (now, that cost 3 times the pictures price!) they are decorating our homes. Not only they look good on the wall, but also a memoir of the Laos trip, and of Wat Pahouak.

No comments: